New Bethany Baptist Church (NBBC) originated from a small mission of eight (8) people on June 17, 1935. On November 27, 1935, the Baptist Ministries Conference officially organized our church. The late pastor, Rev. Dr. John J. Koger (1935-1990) faithfully served as its organizer, first pastor, and spiritual leader for 55 years. NBBC had its beginnings at the Richard's Funeral Parlor, formerly located at Vermont Avenue and "R" Streets, NW, DC. Subsequently, in November 1935, the Church relocated to 807 First Street, NW, DC. The First Street location was designed and built by then pastor, Rev. Dr. J.J. Koger.
During Dr. Koger's tenure, he organized the Boards of Deacons, Trustees, Ushers, and Deaconesses. Additionally, he began the Sunday School, Christian Education ministry, and several choirs.
Our current pastor is Rev. Jesse J. Jackon, Sr. He is a graduate of the Washington Baptist Seminary and has been shepherding the NBBC flock since 2017. He has instituted spiritual leadership development programs, a youth ministry, and a Thanksgiving outreach program.
The vision of Pastor Jackson is for New Bethany to be a "beacon of hope on N street." Our congregation strives to bridge the generational, and social gaps that hinder genuine fellowship in the name of the Lord.
The vision for New Bethany Baptist Church is to be a "Purpose Driven Church" using a Christian biblical strategy and structure that ensures equal emphasis on the six-fold New Testament purpose of the church:
Our mission is to become what Christ taught concerning whoever God wills. We will engage regardless of denomination, worship style, demographics, or socioeconomic status. In moving the congregation from membership to discipleship, we will plant now, and continue to cultivate, nourish, and harvest to create and manage inclusive ministries seeking the ways of Christ and following the heart of Christ to grow spiritual fruit to complete our vision.
Copyright © 2024 New Bethany Baptist Church - All Rights Reserved.